The Church of St. Peter has an ancient church history rooted in the central tradition of the Church of England. As a village church we embrace all traditions coming together to worship God with a mixture of traditional and modern services catering to all age groups.
Find us at Churchfield Road Tewin, Welwyn, AL6 0JN.
There is a sign post at the end of the Church drive to the Church.
Essential repairs to the stonework of the church tower last year are now complete. We have also done much work in the churchyard which has been a virtual park for the village during the lockdown periods, and the bells have undergone some restoration work. Thank you to our friends and supporters who have made special donations towards all these works. If you would still like to contribute to this fund , we shall be extremely grateful for whatever you can give. Only by maintaining the fabric of our ancient church building will it remain in good repair for ourselves and future generations. Give here please.
During 2021 we shall be investigating ways to make our church more environmentally-friendly, for example by updating the lighting system.
The history of the church begins with the coming of the Saxons in 449. They called themselves "Sons of Tew" and worshipped the god Tew. The site of their shrine became that of the later Christians church when they became Christians in or about AD 604 shortly after the coming of St Augustine. It is thought that the North Wall of the church was part of the North Wall of this earlier Saxon Church.
After the Norman conquest the Normans restored the ruined church in about 1086 AD The Norman parts (Nave and Chancel) were built by Peter de Valoignes to whom William the Conqueror had granted the Castle of Hertford, its estates and the manor of Tewin. It was at this time that the church was dedicated to St Peter.
The lancet windows of the Chancel and South Aisle as well as the arches dividing the Nave from the South Aisle were built in the early English period (about 1266).
In the Perpendicular period (1377-1547) many changes were made, including the east windows of the Chancel and Aisle, the South Porch with its inner door and the Tower. There were restorations of the church in 1864 and more notably in 1903. This final restoration was carried out at the expense of Lord Cowper whose memorial is situated on the South Wall of the Chancel. A new Vestry was built, the entire church was fitted with new oak pews, pulpit and reading desk, together with the candelabras.
Revd. Susannah Underwood
The Rectory, Brookbridge Lane, Datchworth, SG3 6SU
tel: 01438 817183
Revd. Dr. David Munchin
1 Ottway Walk, Welwyn, AL6 9AS
tel: 01438 714150
Mrs Linda Gilley
30 Godfries Close, Tewin, AL6 0LQ
tel: 01438 717385
Mr Nick Whiting
5 Churchfield Road, Tewin, AL6 0JW
tel: 01438 717230
Mrs Amanda Glew
22 Firs Walk, Tewin, AL6 0NZ
tel: 01438 798047
Mrs Diana Bradley
25 Firs Walk, Tewin, Herts, AL6 0NY
tel: 01438 798478
|PCC Stewardship Officer||
Mr Graham Spring
2b Hertford Road, Tewin, AL6 0JY
tel: 01438 416071
|PCC Safeguarding Officer||
Mrs Pauline Brown
10a Harmer Green Lane, Digswell, AL6 0AX
tel: 01438 717580
The Millenium Kneelers
In the summer of 2019 a short film about the making of the church kneelers to celebrate the Millennium was made at St Peter’s Church. The film can be viewed on BBC IPlayer. It's a heart-warming watch.